Sunday

The big 5

It was our 5th anniversary this last weekend.  It has been a long road, but a good one.  O.K. five years is not that long I guess.  Spencer and I have tried to celebrate our anniversary every year by doing something fun and exciting.  Last year we spent it in New Mexico, and didn't get a real chance to celebrate, so this year I made sure we did. 
 A little background on the date that we were married.  The original wedding date to be married was November 22nd, 2003.  It was a good day, a Saturday to be exact. We would get married and have the reception that evening at my stake house.  Well low and behold I was informed that if we had our wedding that day, many would not show up, and others would leave early. As people went through the line, my new husband would be asking if anyone knew the score and a fight might break out between families and friends depending on the outcome of the game.   Yes, the great holy war of football was on this day!!   The U vs. BYU.  To a normal family this would not be a problem.  Have you met my husband? Have you met his family?  Have you met my Grandpa and Uncles?    It would be the Romeo and Juliet of Football.
Well, I conceded and changed the day to November 15th.  First problem, I could no longer get my stake house, so we had to opt for Spencer's stake house and of course we couldn't get it on the 15th.  We ended up having our reception on Friday the 14th and were married in the Bountiful Temple on the morning of the 15th.  This seems weird I know!  Reception before getting married?  I have to tell you it was awesome.  I had all day to get ready for my reception.  The next day Spencer and I were sealed for eternity, went to the wedding breakfast and were off for the rest of our lives.   It was all so stress free.  O.K. that would be a lie.  It was less stress free.  I do have to say that sometimes when Spencer and I are having a bad day and arguing I tell him "all of our problems are because we were suppose to be married on November 22nd."  It is interesting that next week, November 22nd is the BYU vs. U football game.  I am just glad it didn't fall on our anniversary,  we would have had to change our anniversary date this year. LOL!! 
So, I was having a bad day on Tuesday.  A little stressed out from work and other things on my mind.  Spencer called me on my way home.  He could tell by the tone of my voice that I had been crying.  I was just plain having a bad day.  He asked me to meet him in Bountiful for dinner.  We met in a parking lot so we could drive to dinner together and headed on our way.  He started winding through some streets before I knew it we were at a park.  This happened to be the park where we met and he proposed.  
As we are walking he is telling me how much he loves me and cares about me and promising me that I would not have to work much longer.   All I could think was "the next words out of his mouth are going to be that we are moving to Elko".  (Now mind you we have been joking around at home that he might get sent to the middle of no where for his job.)  So I am crying a little bit more now.  
Then out of no where he pulls out a ring box.  Of course by now I am balling hysterically.  As I open the box and notice the ring inside I start balling uncontrollably.  When we were first married I told him that for our fifth anniversary that I wanted a ruby band to go with my wedding ring.  Ruby's are my favorite and it is my birthstone.  HE IS SO CUTE!!!  I love my husband.  He decided to give it to me that day, because I was having a bad day, and he knew that I would probably find out when I looked at our bank account.  Don't worry we didn't go into debt to get it.  Look how pretty!
I wanted to embarrass Spencer so I sent him this on Friday to his work.  Ha, ha, ha. He loves his candy!! 
Spencer and I had out 5th anniversary family picture taken.  Look how good we look after five years of marriage.  It's amazing how well we have kept our shapes.

I chose the Spaghetti Factory for dinner. We hadn't been there forever.  It was yummy!
After dinner we went to see "Into the Woods" at the Hale Centre Theater.  We really like that place.  It was a good play with a lot of metaphors about life.  It was a great night.  

4 comments:

Abby said...

Congratulations! I can't believe it's been five years! I remember your wedding reception!!!

Amber said...

Wow! I can't believe it's your fifth wedding anniversary -- congratulations! I love your new ring; between your love of rubies and Spencer's pick in design, you guys have good taste...not to mention you picked each other! :) Glad you guys had a good anniversary and I'm so happy for you.

Shook Family said...

Wow five years...you guys are old...haha just kidding. let me know if you are coming on friday. We can plan something really fun.

Dave said...

You guys are awesome. Funny thing -- we did get married on the BYU - Utah Game! Michelle's dad still hasn't forgiven me for it!

Spencer, you are the man!